The Procurement Services department is responsible for the acquisition of campus goods and services. The department strives for continuous improvement in processes and practices to maximize value, minimize university risk, and promote environmental stewardship in support of the university's mission of teaching, research, and public service.
Procurement Services' goal is to drive best practices in sustainable procurement while delivering the best values in goods and services to the university. Procurement Services is continually working with vendors, suppliers, and the Office of Sustainability to help us with our Zero Waste goals.
- Added language to food truck vendors on campus to provide zero waste dishware.
- Incorporated sustainability specifications and evaluation criteria into local contracting processes.
- Implemented sustainable campus-wide standard contracts for furnishings, equipment, supplies, and services focused on environmentally preferable characteristics from the raw material acquisition in manufacturing through the entire life cycle.
- Presented sessions on "Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP)," "EPP Best Practices" and "Toxic-Use Reduction" to other UC campuses, institutions, and community groups.
- Hosted three strategic vendor fairs focused on sustainable products and services.
- Initiated a "Building Local Partnerships" event co-hosted by UC Merced Purchasing and the local Greater Chamber of Commerce, with participation from five other public agencies/institutions aimed at fostering relationships with local businesses.
- Managed the bid process through the final contract award and negotiation of campus solar photovoltaic project.